[mythtv-users] HD-3000 and PVR-350 on an Asus A7N8X-E

dbakker at arrayasolutions.com dbakker at arrayasolutions.com
Sun Nov 14 14:23:14 UTC 2004

I had the same problem. I got the thompson to show by loading the cx8800
drivers first. I have gotten dtvsignal to work yet.

Mercury Morris <mercury.morris at gmail.com>
Sent by: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
11/13/2004 05:54 PM
Please respond to
Mercury Morris <mercury.morris at gmail.com>; Please respond to
Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

John Patrick Poet <john at blueskytours.com>, mythtv-users at mythtv.org
cc

Subject
Re: [mythtv-users] HD-3000 and PVR-350 on an Asus A7N8X-E

The Panasonic string just keeps bothering me, so I Google'd
for it:

  Panasonic VP27s/ENGE4324D

and it looks like it's part of a patch that adds support to
devices for NTSC tuners.  That is, it adds code to the
video4linux element called "tuner.c".

Could it be that those of us who see this string in the
system log are getting the wrong tuner module loaded
somehow?  The HD-3000 driver code has its own "tuner.c"
element, but there are others as part of the Linux kernel.

There was/is a similar problem recently with the msp3400
module.  The work-around for that case is to

  modprobe msp3400-ivtv

which is Axel's way of providing the module without using
the identical name.

So far, I haven't seen anyone reporting the presence of Panasonic
along with success with the HD-3000 card.  If I'm wrong about that,
I hope someone reports that they see both Panasonic in the log AND
an nice HDTV picture.

I think the chances are good that the wrong module or possibly modules
are loaded and that results in no signal strength ever showing up while
dtvsignal is running.  I'm probably wrong about this "Panasonic" idea,
surely someone else has encountered this combination before.  But I
don't understand why "Thompson" shows up in the logs of those HD-3000
users who are having some degree of success.

Thanks again, John, for the information about how you setup
your two cards.  I made some changes to my setup based on
your information, and the errors that had been part of the log
don't show up any more.  (Except of course, for the "Panasonic" stuff.)

--
MM