[mythtv-users] Re: Highly confused - tuner type=39 ??

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Sat Nov 13 14:19:09 UTC 2004

>Ok, I'm starting to get-it. I had assumed that patches were generally a
way to get a given >package upgraded to the current rev-level (i.e. -
run the patch or get the entire tarball), >but his patches are for other
things.

>My existing kernel (and source tree) is 2.4.26, but I see that his
patches are for:

>bttv-0.9.15-new_tuners.patch.gz
>cx88-0.0.4-new_tuners.patch.gz
>linux-2.4.27-new_tuners.patch.gz
>saa7134-0.2.12-new_tuners.patch.gz
>
>Do I need to get the current source for 2.4.27 and rebuild the kernel,
or is it safe to run >this against 2.4.26? If so, what about the others?
Is there a way to determine which >versions of bttv, cx88, and saa I
have? Thanks for the help,
>Don
>
>PS - I'm using Slackware 9.1, which stopped issuing kernel source at
2.4.26. Any idea >of where to get 2.4.7 ?

Success, but it took a while.  Here's what I did:

1. Used linux-2.4.27-new_tuners.patch.gz to patch tuner file and did
make modules, make modules_install.  This also fubar'ed my
installation.  Very strange results.

2. Rebuilt the kernel and modules, still bubar'ed.

3. Got source for 2.4.27, repatched tuner.h/tuner.h, rebuilt kernel and
modules, still fubar'ed

4. Got .config for Slackware-Current (10.0) bare.i, resolved differences
in kernel source (only one library was needed).  Repatched
tuner.c/tuner.h, rebuilt kernel and modules, everything works except
lirc (but I assume this has nothing to do with lirc).

I like the idea about rebuilding the modules and copying it over (wish
I'd thought of it too).  One more question, I only patched with
'linux-2.4.27-new_tuners.patch.gz', do I need to do anything with the
others?  If so, what files need patched, it looks like they all do the
same one.

Thanks again for the help,
Don

PS - I'm guessing sschaefer1 is right about the release drivers.  It was
probably the tuner.c/tuner.h files all along.