[mythtv-users] DVB-t and disk usage

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 13 00:16:47 UTC 2004

Joshua M. Thompson wrote:

>>I want to know the disk usage of one hour of recording in MPEG-2 through a
>>DVB-t card ?
>>I currently do soft-encode in MPEG-4 and it takes about 2 Go which I think
>>acceptable, depending of course of bitrate and resolution.
>>

>Since the DVB-t card just passes through what it receives (as opposed to
>a PVRx50 which actually does the encoding) your bitrate, and thus the
>amount of space used per hour, will vary depending on how much bandwidth
>the broadcaster has allocated to the show you're watching.

I'll second that.  About the only show that is predictable for me here
(in Australia) is The Simpsons at 2G per half hour show.  One hour
programs vary between 3 and 4G (usually low to mid 3G) where as 2 hour
movie will take anywhere between 6 and 8G - again usually somwhere
around the 6.5 - 7G range, though a 3 hour movie seems to take only 7.5-8G.

Depending on your provider, there really is no such thing as an
"average" size.  When you get variations of up to 800mb on a half hour
show, it's a pretty safe bet that taking a pot-shot on averages is going
to go wrong pretty quick.