[mythtv-users] Hardware setup with VIA EPIA

Liivo Liivrand liivo at nnm.ee
Fri Nov 12 12:21:02 UTC 2004

Hello All!

I'd like to biuld my own HTPC running MythTV. For testing I had used mythtv
(backend+frontend) on:
MB: ASUS A7N8X-E
CPU: Athlon XP2500+ (clocked to 3200)
RAM: PC3200 512MB
HDD: SATA.
VGA: nVidia FX5200 TV-OUT
Tuner: 1x Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert.
OS: Fedora Core 2
IR: LIRC

Test setup was running fine. I was able to record scheduled TV shows
(720x576 PAL MPEG2) at same time I was watching DVD or DivX/XviD AC3 movie.
CPU load was about 50-70%.

Now I need to have your opinion building mythtv on hardware which suits in
living room, is slim and small and extremely low noise and also I am able to
record TV and watch DivX/XviD at the same time. So I have had eye on:
MB & CPU: VIA EPIA ME6000 or M10000 (I'd like VIA EPIA SP, but can't wait
any more its release!)
RAM: 256MB
HDD: PATA (3,5" or 2,5")
Tuner: 1x Leadtek WinFast TV2000 Expert
Case: Morex 3688
Audio out (mythtv): stereo
Audio out (xine): SPDIF

I know that this current TV tuner has no hardware MPEG2 support, so the main
issue here is that could EPIA handle this without dropping any frames and
also able to do simultaneous video playback? If it couldn't, does changing
tuner with PVR-150 or other cx88-blackbird help running it? I won't run
mythweb or mythgame.

TIA,

Liivo.