[mythtv-users] Re: Dual tuners, frontend and backend doable on P4 520?

Mike Frisch mfrisch at isurfer.ca
Fri Nov 12 16:00:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 11:51:34PM -0500, Jack Trout wrote:
> I can either record 2 shows and or watch 1 and record one, video gets
> kinda jumpy with both encoding and watching anything via a remote
> front end or local front end.

This is the sort of thing I want to avoid.  I could get a slower
machine, but I want a bit of a comfort zone to ensure I can actually use
the machine while it's recording or playing back.

> that may not be an issue with the PVR Cards seeing I am sure some
> extra hard drive bandwidth is used to encode to divx while recording.
> I am thinking about setting up my /video partition on a raid and
> seeing if that fixes it so your specs far outstrip mine so I am sure
> you will have enough power

At least with the PVR-250, I am writing directly to the disk without
having to transcode, so it'll be using less CPU than software
transcoding.

If you're _only_ running into a disk bottleneck, then I cannot see a
reason why a P4 2.8GHz should be able to handle what I need.

Thanks,

Mike.