[mythtv-users] Distro of Choice

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Fri Nov 12 15:59:50 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 10:31, Peter Dash wrote:
> For ease of setup it's probably best to go with Fedora Core so you can
> follow Jarrod's (excellent) guide which steps you through the whole
> process from start to first recording. Having said that I'm using
> gentoo - mainly because the box is leaner that way... only what I need
> on it and nothing else. It was a reasonably painless install except
> for some problems with the 2.6 kernel and DVB but solving that is
> pretty well covered in the gentoo forums.

If you're doing HDTV, you might consider Gentoo more seriously--I'm able
to play HDTV find with an AMD 2500+, but other people have indicated
needing more powerful processors.  I suspect that optimizing everything
for my processor and using the latest gcc are the main reasons I'm not
having issues.  Or maybe I just got lucky.

If you're not worried about squeezing a few extra percent out of your
system, then only use Gentoo if you like to tinker with every aspect of
your system.

--PC