[mythtv-users] Quality of Capture of HDTV satellite

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 14:39:23 UTC 2004

So, I am running MythTV with the venerable Hauppage PVR-250. I used to
have it hooke dup to a 27" TV and quality was fine, now I have a sweet
53" Panasonic HDTV.

SD programming looks like poo. I know it is not possible to capture at
pure HDTV quality with any user class capture card, but I was
wondering what it would look like if I got hi def satellite.

I rarely watch live TV (esp. since MythTV came along...).

If I got a hi def receiver and hooked it's video out to the svideo in
of my PVR250, would I get recordings that are ntoiceably better
quality than my SD Cable signal? I know it won't be hidef quality, but
will it be better at all.

Also, what will the capture card do with widescreen broadcasts? Will
it capture the image in widescreen but skew the aspects? How will it
handle that some programming is in widescreen hidef and some is in
4:3?

Basically, I want to know what my options are for using MythTV with
HiDef satellite and what I can expect out of this.

I am in Canada, so DOA is patchy at best...

Anyone using Bell ExpressVu with MythTV? Do their receivers have
serial out to make remote compatibility easier, or am I looking at
some IR repeater configuration.

Robin