[mythtv-users] Day one with HD3000 - bust

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Fri Nov 12 13:11:06 UTC 2004

Bus mastering shouldn't have a thing to do with it.  The BIOS should
still be
able to detect the board.  Detection of hardware on the PCI bus occurs via
special cycles on the bus called "configuration cycles".  Bus mastering
is not
used (or supported) with configuration cycles.  If a card is not being
detected
it means that it did not respond to configuration cycles used to read (at a
minimum) it's vendor and device id configuration registers.

My guess is that the problem is something more basic like 5V only cards in
3.3 V slots or something like that.  If so, a new MB is probably the only
solution.

John Andersen wrote:

>On Thursday 11 November 2004 19:41, Michael S. Keller wrote:
>

>>Michael S. Keller wrote:
>>

>>>(I've sent an e-mail off to pcHDTV about this.)
>>>
>>>I received my HD3000 cards today. I broke the seal on one and put it
>>>into my Mythbox. BIOS didn't detect it, lspci didn't show it. I tried
>>>putting it in a different PCI slot. Same result.
>>>

>>Tried them in someone else's computer tonight (some Intel motherboard
>>with a 2.4GHz P4). Both cards detected, didn't get my generic Knoppix to
>>compile a driver, but did get the machine's own WinXP to install
>>drivers. Verified NTSC capture with one of the cards.
>>
>>It's new motherboard time.
>>
>>-Michael
>>

>Does your existing mobo have bios settings dealing
>with bus mastering?

Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown