[mythtv-users] PPV to Delete or not to Delete

Andrew J ajpalm at optushome.com.au
Thu Nov 11 23:24:38 UTC 2004

>>The only thing removed was PPV shows were deleted after a period of
>>time, rather than being left there until they were removed by the user
>>or diskspace requirements. Which is no different to watching it 'live'
>>(infact better cause you can watch it when you wanted!)
>

> But which pretty much defeats the purpose of a PVR.   Tell me, do your
> VCR tapes erase themselves automaticly to make the studios happy?

While they don't erase themselves the quality of the output from them is
crap so they might as well have done so!!

You ASSUME this is the studios pushing this, were I really think you
will find its more likely the PPV providers who don't want people to
hold  onto this content.

If I buy Shrek 2 for four bucks via PPV tonight, and I keep it around on
my TiVo, how likely am I to buy it again in a month or two if I want to
watch it again?

A 'normal' viewer would buy Shrek 2, start watching it... then get a
phone call or visitor, miss half of the movie and have too buy it again!
A TiVo user buys it once and then watches it in there own time,
sometimes months after the event.

You can't pay just $4 to permanently own Shrek 2 on your TiVo for ever.

> The whole point of technology is for us to get more and better
> functionality not less.

And you are getting more... Do you know the time frame of the deletes? A
quick search brought up this quote "How long this amount of time can
range anywhere from 1 week to a month after the recording."

So you are getting more and better functionality using TiVo compared to not!

The simple answer is, don't book a PPV if you can't watch it in a week.

Its like renting a DVD and taking it back and say I didn't have time to
watch it, I want to keep it until I watch it or am sick of watching it,
then I'll return it, All for $4!

Think of PPV as 'hiring' a show, without going to the store!

Andrew