[mythtv-users] X runs at 90-95%CPU

Alan Anderson andersonas at adelphia.net
Thu Nov 11 17:45:14 UTC 2004

Hi,

This is frustrating.

Got the 7NIF2 returned same MB same CPU new DDR400 memory.  Latest bios.

This new memory module runs Memtest86 ok as does the second one I purchesed
(same brand/model number)  But if I put both in the MB and memtest86 fails
unless I underclock the memory to 166MHZ.

Ok I says to my self if I ditch the video card and use the onbloard video
then the memory is automatically underclocked from 200MHZ to 166MHZ.  So
maybe this is do-able.

So I install FC2 and upgraded to the 2.6.8-1_521 kernel and nvidia v6111
driver via apt-get.  Log in let the screen saver kick in and the next
morning X is running at 99.8% I have to kill -9.  I'll try a customer
kernel compile and agpart and see if that helps but that is the last gasp
effort.  Identical issue in FC1 and FC2, Same video driver but plenty of
people are running that driver.  I have two mandrake 10 systems running
6111 just fine.  Maybe a test install of mandrake 10 and nvidia 6111 on the
chaintech is worth a try.

I know others have had great results with the chain tech 7NIF2 but I am
about to cut my losses and purchase another mother board.  Any
reccomendations for a good MB for Mythtv that works well with a Athalon
3200+ and 1MB Corsair ddr400 memory.

--
Alan Anderson
andersonas at adelphia.net
Linux is user friendly.
Its just real picky about who its friends are.