[mythtv-users] Undefined symbol error when running CVS

Shawn core at enodev.com
Thu Nov 11 17:06:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 00:38 -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 November 2004 23:29, Shawn wrote:
> > Likely a library it's linking to has been compiled with a compiler not
> > ABI compatible with what myth was compiled with (2.96 v 3.X?), or some
> > psycho-babble sounding like that. (The "_ZNBlahHorkBeeble" bullshit is a
> > clue)
>
> No, its not likely. The last Red Hat distribution with a 2.96 compiler was Red
> Hat Linux 7.3, over three years and six releases ago. He said he's running
> Fedora Core 2, using packages from ATrpms, compiled on a Fedora Core 2
> system. (Well, in a FC2 chroot using FC2's native tool chain, anyhow).

While I may not be correct in the specific sense, I am correct in the
general sense. That link error crap with the underscore garbage is
binary incompatible shit lying around. Old RPMs, whatever. If it were
anything else it would have more traditional non-underscore errors.

> > Try looking at all the libraries myth links to (ldd), and recompiling
> > those libraries with the same gcc (or g++ as it were).
>
> Don't bother. Way off base, like Isaac said.

Way off base? Geez, people really like to try and act superior around
here. I've fought with c++ compiles for 9 years as an admin and a user
on every popular linux distribution since 95. I think I'm right, and I
may even be wrong, but way off base?

No, it would have led to the correct answer, showing runtime links to
libraries he did not intend to link to, like the RPMs that ought not be
there...

> > > Any ideas?
>
> Yes. Look at the output of:
>
> # rpm -qa | grep myth
>
> You probably still have a bunch of rpms installed, apt-get remove mythtv only
> removes the mythtv package, there are several packages that have to be
> removed (namely, all the ones in the output from the above command).
>
> Try:
>
> # rpm -e `rpm -qa | grep myth`

Different way of coming to the same conclusion.

Also, I suggest recompiling your CVS after removing any old RPMs, as it
may have compiled against older headers.