[mythtv-users] Whole house Myth setup

Troy Roberts troy at pdaverticals.com
Thu Nov 11 07:29:31 UTC 2004

Anthony Vito wrote:

>>- Use Xbox frontends for the locations that are not HD
>>- Use a frontend based on a small form factor PC with an nvidia FX5200
>>card for location that are HD sets
>>

>HD frontends require at least XP3200(p4 3.0GhzW/HT??)+ Nvidia runing
>Xv or if you use Xvmc you can use less processor(XP1800?... someone
>uses a cele 2.2Ghz).... but you're in for a world of fun and glitches
>as Xvmc is really not fully integrated into myth at this time... and
>it's still very experimental in itself.
>

>>- I am planning to use PVR-250 for the non HD capture, and pcHDTV3000
>>for the HD streams - it is my understanding that you would need a fairly
>>beefy box to capture more than 1 HD stream, but with the 250s onboard
>>encoding, I think I could capture 1HD stream, and 1 or more non-hd
>>streams at the same time.  IS that a bad assumption.
>>

>CAPTURING HD streams for the 2000/3000 cards does not take up any CPU
>at all. It requires the hard drive to save ~2megs a second, which is
>really nothing with DMA enabled. It's PLAYING the HD streams that's
>tough... see above for frontend issues.

Ahhh, of course - the video card is outputting a digital signal, but not
an HD signal, just the contents of the frame buffer.   The hardware
decoder decodes MPEG2, but not HD, so the CPU has to do all the decoding....

So the backend could _capture_ multiple HD streams and/or non-HD
streams, the frontends just need to have enough horse-power to decode
it, and the network would have to have enough bandwidth to stream it.