[mythtv-users] Whole house Myth setup

jds jds-myth at losdos.dyndns.org
Thu Nov 11 02:03:30 UTC 2004

Troy writes:
> - most of the signals I want to capture would be coming from satellite,
> or digital cable boxes, is there an effective way for a single system to
> properly use multiple ir blasters to change those boxes, or would i need
> to have a separate backebd box for each ir-blaster based device i want
> to control? If one backend can properly switch channels, etc on multiple
> devices, is there a good howto somewhere on this?

troy,

although not elegant, it would not be difficult to configure N instances
of LIRC, each dedicated to a given set top box.  of course, you'll need
N serial ports and N IR blasters -- but only one backend box.  the only
real cost is a few megabytes of RAM; each instance is about 512K, so it's
no big deal.  each input in mythtv has an associated channel change script,
which would in turn call the proper IR blaster instance.  ps: be sure to
police any IR crosstalk between set top boxes.

if you go this direction, contact me off list and i'll walk you thru it.
really it's nothing more than mutating my current "tweak LIRC" script at
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html

jds