[mythtv-users] ATI Radeon Linux TV Support

Nezar Nielsen nezar.nielsen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 00:25:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 03:09:55 -0800, nate s wrote:

I got it working(kinda)! Ran the fglrxconfig utility setting monitor 1
to be auto and monitor 2 to TV-out... though the auto-thing didn't
work for my LCD monitor, so I altered the XF86Config-4 changing AUTO
to CRT in  Option "MonitorLayout", then both screens showed colors and
everything(with scrolling on the TV since the resolution is too high
to fit into the TV).

> First off, I should be more specific, when I said you can't run myth
> on both, what I meant was with this solution you will only get xv
> support on one of the heads, and glx support may be tied to that, so
> you may not be able to use myth and play a glx game at the same time
> either.

Haha, dammit, yeah, figured that out, when neither mythtv or mplayer
or anything would show up on my TV, but everything else would...darn,
then it doesn't do much good :(

There isn't anything I can do about the missing xv then?

Do you know if the DVI connection has the xv output in it? Otherwise
I'd be really sad when purchasing a projector and still not being able
to see videos(Well ok, I guess I could get a VGA=>Component adaptor
and use that, but DVI would be preferable..)

> What you need to do is, set up moniter sections, two graphics devices
> sections, and two screen sections.  First set up your 2 moniter
> sections, with your horizsync and such for each.  With the graphics
> device sections, the one for your moniter will contain no mention of
> the tv out stuff, like overscan, nstc/pal/secam, or any of that stuff.
>  It will pretty much be a default config.  Then you'll make an
> entirely new section for the tv out and set that up for your tv, with
> modelines (if needed) and whatever.  Also note that it's very
> important to specify the BusID on both device sections, and that they
> be the same for both of them (yes some ati cards have 2 seperate
> busids, presumabely for the second head, but the driver needs them
> both set to the first one)  Then set up two seperate screen sections,
> one for each of your device sections.  I believe that's all there is
> to it and then you can just start applications with DISPLAY=:0.1
>
> I hope that wasn't too confusing.  For some examples, check google, or
> you might look on the gentoo forums, as that's where I sow someone
> post about it originally, and the info would apply to all distros.

It looks almost like that setup, I have two monitor sections, two
device sections and one screen section, here's the essential parts:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Monitor0"
    HorizSync   31.5 - 79.0
    VertRefresh 50-90
    Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Monitor1"
    HorizSync   31.5 - 37.9
    VertRefresh 50 - 70
    Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Standard VGA"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    Driver      "vga"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier                          "ATI Graphics Adapter"
    Driver                              "fglrx"
    Option "no_accel"                   "no"
    Option "no_dri"                     "no"
    Option "mtrr"                       "off" # disable DRI mtrr
mapper, driver has its own code for mtrr
    Option "DesktopSetup"               "0x00000100"
    Option "MonitorLayout"              "CRT, STV"
    Option "IgnoreEDID"                 "off"
    Option "HSync2"                     "31.5 - 37.9"
    Option "VRefresh2"                  "50 - 70"
    Option "ScreenOverlap"              "0"
    Option "NoTV"                       "no"
    Option "TVStandard"                 "PAL-B"
    Option "TVHSizeAdj"                 "0"
    Option "TVVSizeAdj"                 "0"
    Option "TVHPosAdj"                  "0"
    Option "TVVPosAdj"                  "0"
    Option "TVHStartAdj"                "0"
    Option "TVColorAdj"                 "0"
    Option "GammaCorrectionI"           "0x00000000"
    Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x00000000"
    Option "Capabilities"               "0x00000800"
    Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"
    Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"
    Option "CenterMode"                 "off"
    Option "PseudoColorVisuals"         "off"
    Option "Stereo"                     "off"
    Option "StereoSyncEnable"           "1"
    Option "FSAAEnable"                 "no"
    Option "FSAAScale"                  "1"
    Option "FSAADisableGamma"           "no"
    Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos"         "no"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX0"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY0"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX1"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY1"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX2"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY2"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX3"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY3"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX4"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY4"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosX5"                "0.000000"
    Option "FSAAMSPosY5"                "0.000000"
    Option "UseFastTLS"                 "0"
    Option "BlockSignalsOnLock"         "on"
    Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "yes"
    Option "ForceGenericCPU"            "no"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"    # vendor=1002, device=4151
    Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen0"
    Device      "ATI Graphics Adapter"
    Monitor     "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0  # initial origin if mode is smaller than desktop
    EndSubsection
EndSection

--
Mvh. Nezar Nielsen