[mythtv-users] MythTV - which SFF?

mythtv at heisterberg.dk mythtv at heisterberg.dk
Wed Nov 10 09:25:31 UTC 2004

I had the same considerations when buying mine a couple of weeks back. The
main issue I found with the Shutte design is that all of them only have
one PCI slot making it impossible to do a solution with two tuner cards
which is almost a must (at least in my opinion). I ended up with an Asus
Pundit-R which is also a small form-factor bare-bones but with two PCI
slots and onboard TV-out. After some initial issues with getting drivers
etc. I'm running smoothly (though there is a couple of things I need to
look into). Only issue with the Pundit is that you need low-profile PCI
cards - I currently have a Hauppauge PVR-250 in but it is a VERY tight
fit. The next one needs to be a low-profile e.g. LifeView or similar.

I see you a mostly looking for DVB support - my recommendation would be to
start by finding a low-profile card before looking into bare-bones...

Let me know if you need any other opinions straight from the liver... :-)

lekkim

"Jit V" <jit_v1 at hotmail.com>
Sent by: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
10-11-2004 00:03
Please respond to
Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

mythtv-users at mythtv.org
cc

Subject
[mythtv-users] MythTV - which SFF?

Hello,

I've seen a few threads floating around on the subject of various small
form factor boxes and the various issues people are having getting them up
and running. I was thinking of getting a Shuttle SN45G or the SN41G V2 -
but then read the threads on issues with the nforce2 chipset etc. Now I'm
really not sure what to get... :(

I'd be greatful if someone could point me in the right direction of a SFF
that's got good support for linux and works well with mythtv. Since I'm
going to be using a dvb card I'm looking for something that will work
under the 2.6 kernel.

I'm looking for something that supports the following:

1. One spare PCI slot to be uesd for a DVB card.
2. On board 5.1 surround sound - which can be used when playing dvds.
3. S-Video for use with a tv.
4. A motherboard capable of taking a reasonable CPU - something that can
decode an MPEG2 stream, or at least a motherboard that has a graphics card
that can decode MPEG2.

I'd also like to know whether it really is realistic to build a small
stable PVR that just 'works' everytime - it would be a real shame to blow
300-350 GBP on something that doesn't quite work.

Thank you

- Jit

Rock, jazz, country, soul & more. Find the music you love on MSN Music!