[mythtv-users] New Australian XMLTV grabber

Phill Edwards phill_edwards at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 10 07:15:47 UTC 2004

My 2c worth...

I think the group should get some legal advice from (hopefully) someone in
the group who's a lawyer. The danger of going to the ACCC and formalising
the whole thing is that if you lose then we could all be denied access to
any sort of program info at all and could be held legally liable for any
breach. As long as nobody's getting hurt, sometimes it's best just to go
with the flow and let parties turn blind eyes occasionally.

After all, how many PVR users are there in Australia? I doubt that it's very
many at the moment as most people don't have the technical knowledge to do
it. If Microsoft failed with all of their powers of persuasion (and
partnership with Channel 9, remember) then do we really think we can
succeed?

At the moment I would say most of us are getting program info in a format
that works and which is good enough for what we need for most of the time.
For example, do we really need full program descriptions; can we really not
live with some info missing occasionally? Remember that this thread began
when d1.com.au had some glitches and those seem to have been mostly resolved
now, just a few days later. Why not leave it there for now and not act
unless it looks like things are going to get well and truly broken?

PS - what's the status of the tv_grab_au interface to OzTiVo?

Regards,
Phill