[mythtv-users] Problems with ivtvdev_drv

Eggert Thorlacius eggi at menandmice.com
Tue Nov 9 22:24:46 UTC 2004

Hi all

I am sorry that I have to keep posting to the list, but I have
completely lost sight of what I am doing and I'm just running around in
the dark by now.

I tried downloading the source of IVTV to get a new ivtvdev_drv.o file,
as Prash recommended, but I can't get the source to compile (neither
from ivtv-0.1.9a.tar.gz nor CVS-LATEST.tar.gz).  I went to the
http://membres.lycos.fr/badzzzz/ and downloaded the source of the
driver from there, but when I built it, I did not get a ivtvdev_drv.o
file, but a bunch of .ko files.  Installing them had no apparent
effect.

Running mplayer without the "-vo xv" apparently decodes the mpgs in
software and my machine can't handle that, so in order to enable the
hardware decoding, I need ivtvdev_drv.o.

Jarod's Guide says: "Note that the ivtvdev X driver is included with
the ck-series ivtv drivers, so no need to fetch it, just use it. Or so
I believe. Gotta get my EPIA back up and running..."  What does this
mean?  Does the driver from atrpms work (for everyone except me, that
is)?  If not, where can I fetch it?  Can someone who has gotten the
source to compile send me a copy of the driver?  Do I need a different
version of the driver because I'm using PAL?  And once I get the
driver, where do I install it?  Why does apt-get install the driver in
/usr/X11R6/lib/Server/modules/drivers, where X (apparently) can't find
it?

There is GeForce2 MX/MX 400 video card with TV-Out in my machine as
well.  Do you think that I will have more success if I tried to connect
the TV to that card?  I'd still need to make the PVR-350 handle the
decoding, so I'd still need the driver, right?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,
Eggert