[mythtv-users] HDTV playing issues

Preston Crow pc-mythtv04 at crowcastle.net
Mon Nov 8 21:35:29 UTC 2004

Good news: HDTV plays just fine on my Athlon 2500+/nVidia FX 5200
system.

Bad news: Playback stutters under certain circumstances.

When watching a recorded show with nothing else going on, it's great.

When watching a recorded show while another show is recording (whether
HDTV or from the PVR-250), playback is choppy.

When watching live HDTV, playback is choppy.

My theory is that I'm running into hard drive seek latency issues.  The
drive light isn't solid, and it should be trivial to do far more than
9GB/hour, so it isn't a bandwidth issue.  I suspect that simply using a
larger read-ahead buffer would solve the problem for both live TV and
when recording something else.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Anyone fixed it?  How can I change
the buffer size to see if that solves it?

--PC