[mythtv-users] ATI Radeon Linux TV Support

Jesper Sörensen jesper at datapartner.se
Mon Nov 8 14:43:30 UTC 2004

>okay, so let's assume that I'm not interested in the AIW and all I'm
>interested in is getting the TV-out to work with the DVI->Component dongle.
>Also, let's assume either I'm not going to be worried about the MPEG-2
>decoding overhead, and perhaps I'll transcode everything over to MPEG-4, so
>the lack of XvMC support will be a moot point. Also, let's assume I'm not
>interested in decoding 1920x1080 MPEG-2 stream (if this was the case, the
>XvMC support would be quite nice, granted)
>
>Given these caveats, is the ATI still a bad choice? As stated above, I'm
>interested in the option to use the DVI->Component adaptor and also be able
>to use S-Video out in a stable enviroment.

I'm using a 9600 and with ATI's drivers the s-video is pretty easy to
get going, but you only get xv/overlay support on the primary head (DVI)
which is kinda stupid. Also, maybe this is more of a X config issue but
it's pretty painful to try and use DVI and s-video at the same time
because they use different resolutions and aspect ratios. I never got
that working as I wanted (clone mode with 16:9 on the DVI and 4:3 (16:9
anamorphic) signal on the s-video port). I don't know if Nvidia is any
better though...