[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Huge files and RTJpeg tech question

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Fri Nov 5 13:35:42 UTC 2004

I've been experiencing some strange behavior with recorded programs.
What I've
noticed is that some of my recorded programs are huge (9G/hour) and
others are
the size I expect them to be.  All recording is performed using the same
recording
profile which is set to 544x480 RTJpeg (slow machine w/bttv) quality set
to 205.

I've noticed a pattern to this behavior however which leads me to a tech
question
concerning RTJpeg.  All of the recordings that are the size expected are
recordings
from channels were reception (off air analog antenna) is excellent and
all recordings
where the file size is huge, reception is not perfect.  These "imperfect
reception"
channels exhibit snow which appears to be electrical noise.  Anyway,
here is the
question.  Could this noise result in RTJpegs compression algorithm not
being able
to do a very good job of compressing the video?  If I were to lower my
quality
setting could I get more consistant (accross channels) recording files
sizes?

--
Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown