[mythtv-users] PVR-350 and tv out simply questions

Tom Hudak tom at 1337consulting.net
Thu Nov 4 15:18:12 UTC 2004

On Thursday 04 November 2004 06:24, Juan C. Gallardo wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I'm thinking to buy a PVR-350 to my system, but I'm wondering some
> things related with the tv output of the card.
> So any who has installed this card can answer my questions.
>
> If you use only the tv output of the pvr-350, do you see the booting
> process of the computer? (grub, etc)
Nope. This was answered above but the ivtv out doesn't display characters so
you'll see a cursor moving and nothing else.. Since you likely won't have to
reboot very often this should not be to much trouble..

> Is the tv output quality of this card "very good", can you see a
> difference between this card and others?? better than a nvidia 5200
> tv-out?, or kind of the same?
The major difference is that most if not all of the video card based outputs
output at 640x480, 800x600, or other vga resolutions. While this can be
modified to fit your screen through compression I think you'll notice a
distinct difference between a video cards output, and the absolutely
beautiful output off the pvr350, which runs at native NTSC or PAL resolutions
and not VGA resolutions

I nearly blew off MythTV because the pvr-350 out is SOOOO much better, and
simply didn't work with older drives, but the newer ivtv-dev drivers with
xvmc seem to be fast enough to watch your recorded shows, view dvd's etc
without any choppy scenes through the much higher quality tv-out on the
pvr350. (fast cpu recommended).

--
Thomas J. Hudak <tom at 1337consulting.net>
1337 Consulting LLC.