[mythtv-users] tuning two-card systems ?

Gert van der Knokke gertk at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 4 12:09:42 UTC 2004

Maarten wrote:

>For anyone using (especially) bttv cards: I urge you to invest in a good
>amplifier and/or good splitters.  Don't get fooled by the fact that your VCRs
>and TVs do not suffer from the (bad) signal; do NOT assume that if the TV
>works fine the cards will too.  Apparently the bttv cards are much more
>demanding than a TV when it comes to signal quality and -level.
>In my case it solved more problems than I would've thought remotely possible.

The problem with TV reception with a computer is simply the fact that
you are trying to receive a relatively weak signal next to the biggest
High-Frequency mess you can imagine: your PC :-)

The shielding of the tuner modules is reasonably good and you would
expect the PC to be properly shielded too by its metal case, but every
opening in the case is a potential leak. When using badly shielded coax
cable and plastic coax-plugs you are inviting all kinds of interference
through the coax cable and/or plugs into your tuner module.
As you found out, using proper cable with good connectors and boosting
the signal it works as it should.

Gert