[mythtv-users] PVR 250 & transcoding

Adam Greenbaum lists at refinitive.com
Tue Nov 2 11:27:25 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 07:28, Mark Beaver wrote:
> I have a default install of KnoppMyth, and a PVR250, I'm curious as I'm
> reading the documents it says to "disable transcoding" and the reason for
> doing so is because of hardware decoding on the pvr250, does that mean with
> it enabled it doesn't take advantage of the mpeg encoder?

No, it means the stream coming out of the card will be hardware encoded
in mpeg2 (the only way the PVR250 can work) and once finished recording
you will then transcode it into a different format (probably mpeg4). If
you don't intend to keep the recording for long, then keeping it in
mpeg2 saves you from burning up lots of CPU time just to save a little
space.

Adam.