[mythtv-users] weird problem with sound / pvr350 and new mobo

zardoz at zardoz.ath.cx zardoz at ZardoZ.ath.cx
Mon Nov 1 13:53:12 UTC 2004

hi all,

I need some thoughts. On my old system, a sis based mobo from msi with an old
celeron 2gig I was using the pvr-350 tv out with success. in detail it was
recording & playback of recordings perfect, but when watching dvd-rips the
sound was 'with digital birds' in the background (don' know how to explain in
english), say 'chilp/chilp' as 'noise'. I was using the 'use pvr350 tvout' in
myth. so easy and dirty workaround was to use mplayer 0.9something for this.
(of course ivtv-fb with ivtvdev.o for X). worked good.
since the old h/w was to loud (you may remember my threads ;-), I switched to
a new mobo (asus p4r800vm) with a celeron 2.6gig. took the old harddisk over
to the new mobo, needed to tweak some chipset specific things.
dmesg tells me that drives use dma, hdparm reports something around 55mb, so
should be fine.
on the old system, i used oss, now for the new mobo I needed to switch to
alsa.
again, tv, recording and playback of recording works like a charm, but dvd
rips have the same 'noise' like before when using myth, but mplayer doesn't
work no more. the picture is choppy, sound is running a way in front the
video, the longer you watch, the worser it gets. but even if it would be in
sync, the picture is choppy. I don't get it since the h/w is much younger and
more powerfull than the old one. also tried mplayer 1.0something, same story.
then I thought I would be a smart guy, just tell myth to use ALSA:default
instead of /dev/dsp, but same noise.....

what am i missing here ?

thanks for your help
---z