[mythtv-users] Help with mpeg2cut, please

Brian Meehan bmeehan at rescueteam.com
Mon Nov 1 12:50:50 UTC 2004

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong with mpeg2cut and avidemux.
After my post about 5sec-short recordings, I followed the suggestions of a
few other users to simply try and split the file where I want it, rather
than make a bunch of 2 minute recordings. Good idea, but I was using the
wrong tools.

I'm sending this command-line to mpeg2cut:
# mpeg2cut <in-file> <outfile> <GOPIndex>
<[startpoint_in_seconds*30fps]-[endpoint_in_seconds*30fps]>

But I don't know what it's supposed to be doing. I am sure that it's not
cutting the file part out that I want. I'm worried that I didn't install
lvemux correctly. The readme says to place mpeg.c into the /libavformt dir
of ffmpeg. I had already install ffmpeg using apt-get. But I downloaded it
again any. However, mpeg.c didn't come with lvemux. I did a make install
anyway, and that's where I am now. Chris Petersen's nuvexport MPEG2->MPEG2
cut doesn't disable for dependencies anymore, but it also doesn't do
anything but make 2 files, [infile].cut and [infile].cut2

Any suggestions? I'm looking for the slickest commandline solution to this
so that I can tie it into a php page off of MythWeb. That way, if I need
4:57-5:23 from WHEC News at Noon because my ambulance squad was featured on
it, I can select it from MythWeb, put the start and end time in and click
CUT, without the GUI.

Thanks for your help.

-Brian

---