[mythtv-users] MythTV - Weird problems in Recording Priorities

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon May 31 20:54:21 EDT 2004

Richie Crews wrote:
> I have a few shows I’ve canceled in my recording priorities due to the
> fact that mythtv can not do “record new episodes only” and they seem to
> be lingering around in my priority listing. For example here is a
> viewing of my listing.
>

> Good Eats +10
>
> Good Eats – “Grill Seekers” +10
>
> Aqua Teen HungerForce – “PDA” +4
>
> Aqua Teen HungerForce – “Bad Replicante” +4
>
> Aqua Teen HungerForce  +4
>

> Even if I go into the menu selection for the priority and tell it not to
> record these weird shows that I’ve canceled from recording they still
> will not go away. Is this a default behavior or am I seeing something weird?

This is the default behavior assuming the items with subtitles
say "Record Type: Not recording this showing" in the bottom section
of the screen.

Just as there is a record type to say 'do record' the showing,
there is a type that says 'don't record'. When you mark a show
as "Don't record" or "Never record", one of these entries to
block recording is added to the record table. The difference
between these is that "Don't record" adds one of these entries
and allows the episode to record later. "Never record" adds
this type and adds an entry to the oldrecorded table so that
future showings will be marked as Previously recorded. If you
said "Never Record' for "Grill Seekers", it would be marked "X"
for "Don't record" on the conflicts page. You could then press
Enter and click "Clear Override" and it should change to
"P"reviously recorded.

On the priorities page, I assume that "Good Eats" and "Aqua Teen
HungerForce" without subtitles say something like "Recording all
showings" and the ones with subtitles say "Not recording this
showing".

First, in current CVS, I'd already made a change so that these
Don't record entries are grayed out to make it easier to see
that these are things that aren't going to record (thought of
this earlier, forgot about it until last night).

Next, all single record, do record overrides and don't record
overrides are removed by mythfilldatabase when they are more
than a day old. To avoid any weird situation where a long recording
start before midnight or whatever, it just waits til the next day
so these hang around for 24-48 hours but they all do get removed
after their time has past.

Last, if you go to the advanced options for one of these Don't
record items, the "Schedule:" says. "Do not record this showing".
That may be too subtle. Maybe it should say "Prevent this showing
from recording" or something like that. The choice to remove the
Don't record is "Record this showing with normal options". In other
words get rid of the special exception rule for this showing.

Hope this helps and I hope your response this time doesn't point
out a disastrous bug that requires yet another release ;-).

--  bjm