[mythtv-users] Re: Default Input Doesn't Work After Upgrade to 0.15 and DataDirect

Stefan Frank sfr+lists at 6913304088794.gnuu.de
Mon May 31 18:30:41 EDT 2004

Hi Mark,

"Mark J. Small" <msmall at eastlink.ca> writes:

> On Sunday 30 May 2004 02:11, Mike Smith wrote:
>> Hi,

[...]

>> I can't get the default input to work.  I have one
>> Hauppage card in it with three inputs.  A coax, an
>> S-Video, and a composite.  I selected S-Video as the
>> default input on the Capture Card menu.  I then
>> hook-up the DirectTV input to the S-Video under
>> Input Connections.  I select channel 3 for the initial
>> channel.  When I bring up MythFrontend and try to
>> watch Live TV,  I get a screen that is 90% green with
>> some static at the top.  If I hit the "C" key,  it
>> says S-Video and I get a picture.  If I exit and
>> restart mythfrontend and select watch TV,  its comes
>> up OK.
>>
>> But,  if I bounce mythbackend and then start
>> mythfrontend,  its green screen again unti I hit the
>> "C" key.  This will really be a problem if the backend
>> server goes down and reboots because of a power
>> failure
>> when I not home.  I'm guessing it won't be able to
>> record.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mike
>>
> I've been poking around in the code trying to figure out similar problems on
> my Matrox MJpeg Tuner.  It seems to me like we are being hurt by similar
> problems.   See my post from a few days ago.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/70465?#70465
>
> I've been looking further at the code today, and I'm getting more confused.
>
> I'm looking in channelbase.cpp, and looking at the code that switches inputs.
> There are two SwitchToInput functions, and each of them calls GetInputByName
> to change from an input name to a input number.  However, it looks to me like
> it is looking in the list of CHANNEL names to find a matching INPUT name, and
> it wouldn't be able to find a match, thus the inputs don't get changed.
>
> Of course I could be misreading the code, since my C++ is pretty weak.
>
> Mark

fyi, for some time now i experience a similar problem. I have set up a
Matrox Marvel G400 as my second tuner and the backend acts strange when
using this card for e.g. live-tv.
Accidentally i figured out a way to get it working.
The steps to do it are:

1) mythbackend is already running and the marvel tuner is not in use.
   (well wouldn't work yet anyway)
2) start xawtv using the marvel tuner
3) leave xawtv
4) start live-tv on a frontend

So, xawtv changes s/t in the marvel which the mythbackend doesn't.
Once i do that, i can use the marvel tuner for days. I have to repeat
steps 1-3 whenever i need to restart the backend though.

HTH, Stefan

--
It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

                                   -- Thomas Jefferson