[mythtv-users] How to enable manual transcode?

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Mon May 31 16:00:11 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 14:26, malcolms wrote:
> To do manual transcoding do I have to startup a transcode daemon or something?
> The reason I ask is because when I go to rip a DVD for the first time after a
> reboot I usually get an error about the transcode daemon not running and to
> hit some key (I forget which) and then to try again.  Usually when I try
> again it works.

	That is intended behaviour. Mtd (myth transcoding daemon) is not mature
enough to be a system daemon started at boot. As it works now, whenever
you need to transcode a DVD, you can launch it from the GUI whether it
crashed or just has not yet been run.

> So anyhow back to  my problem.  While watching a recording I hit "menu" and
> the second option down is "begin transcoding".  I select that and it then
> changes to "stop recording" like it's now transcoding.  I left it for over
> 24hours on a 1 hour recording and nothing happened.  If I go back and select
> stop transcoding it says "stopping transcoding" yet the menu never changes
> from having an option of "stop transcoding" like it's stuck in that state.

	Transcoding DVD's has _nothing_ to do with transcoding recorded
television. Not sure what your problem is there, but it is not related
to the mtd.

- thor