[mythtv-users] newbie - knoppmyth R4V3, hauppauge 250

Cecil Watson cwatson at linkline.com
Mon May 31 01:47:04 EDT 2004

Hello,

sean.hull at pobox.com wrote:

>Anyway, I'm at exactly the same point.  Everything is working DVD/CD play,
>games, weather, news feed, but NOTHING displaying on the TV only on the
>monitor through standard video out.  I'm assuming I don't have the
>capture card configured properly, but I'm not sure how to debug
>this.  Video in doesn't work either, or I'd have TV viewing working on my
>monitor.  Also the remote doesn't work.  So in short, nothing related to
>the capture card works.  I have not messed around with /etc/modules or
>/etc/modules.conf since I'm not sure what changes are relevant.

Well depending on the video card you have, you have to tell it to use TV
out.  If you have an nVidia based card, take a look at
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.nvidia-tvout.sample.  You shouldn't mess around w/
/etc/modules or /etc/modules.conf.  Did you complete the setup after
rebooting?  Have you taken a look at the KnoppMyth forum?
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/index.php

>Can anyone help me debug this?  How can I be absolutely sure the cables
>from the Hauppauge 250 to the Digital Cable box (Time Warner) and to the
>TV are setup properly?  How can I debug the capture card outside of
>mythtv's usage?  How can I be sure my mythtv video is setup properly?  How
>can I debug the remote control?  Perhaps there are specific docs on this
>stuff, though I haven't found them yet.

cat /dev/videoX(where X is the device your 250 is assigned, if it is the
only card then video0) > captured.mpg
Again, have you taken a look at the KnoppMyth forum?
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/index.php  If you decide to post, ensure
you search the forum first as you'll fine some of you issues have been
resolved.

Cecil