[mythtv-users] bit of an update.. and nigly problems.. lol

David myth at dgreaves.com
Sat May 29 11:11:49 EDT 2004

Craig Tinson wrote:

>>>all seperate machines.. backend server (FC1 with 1 AverMedia tv card) in
>>>one room.. frontend (FC1 running mythfrontend) in the living room (with
>>>TV) and my PC running FC2 (running mythfrontend)
>>>
>>>have I got my head around this wrong? isn't the myth backend allowed to
>>>stream livetv to as many clients as asks for it?
>>>

>>Correct - you've got your head around it wrongly :)
>>

>well.. bugger.. lol
>

>>Myth can't stream liveTV to multiple clients.
>>

>>At first glance it's an obvious "why not?" they just need to see the
>>ringbuffer...
>>
>>If you think it through you end up with channel change issues, who
>>authorises recording to begin etc
>>

>ok.. that makes sense I think for some setups.. wouldn't make any
>difference in my case though..
>
>ok.. will accept that I'm an idiot and should have thought this through
>more from the beginning.. lol
>
>but others here must have multiple frontends running from the same
>backend..

Yep - including me :)
Basically there's no limit on access to recorded shows.
Any client, anywhere can access any recorded show at any time. (Have I
missed any anys?)
However, for 'live' feeds that's different.

You have one 'live feed' per capture card. Which makes sense - each card
can 'watch' one channel and capture it. That can then be:
* recorded to disk (in which case the backend 'owns' the feed.
* watched by *one* client (in which case that client 'owns' the feed -
but the backend does the work of putting it into the ringbuffer)

so the simple answer (hah!) is to add an extra card - but even that has
difficulties unless the card can decode the signals (ie free to air) -
it's a problem for eg Sky in the UK 'cos you need 2 sky boxes (and
anyone who says "bugger" is, I assume, from the UK too!)

>so whats the trick? reading the ringbuffer directly over nfs? is there
>somewhere I can read on how to set up myth for that? (I know the nfs
>stuff)

Hmm - you possible could try that with xine or mplayer - I'm not aware
you can do it with myth at all (yet?).

David