[mythtv-users] Re: Please help - sound issue

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat May 29 02:25:52 EDT 2004

Squegee wrote:
> I really hope I'm replying correctly. If not I'm
> really sorry, I'm new to this type of message board.
>
> Next, thank you for your responses I really appreciate
> it.
>
> There is definitely something wrong.  When I load up
> alsamixer, and I scroll over to the "line" slider, and
> I push the space bar nothing happens.  The red capture
> word  doesn't appear above the slider.  I tried on
> multiple sliders and nothing.  :(  I double checked
> the capture slider and it is on.

That's no good. You may need assistance from the folks at
http://www.alsa-project.org/ .

However, you may want to run "alsactrl store" as root to
be sure you have a current "/etc/asound.state" file. Open the
file as search for the word "Capture". One thing you should
find is 'Capture Source'. Here's mine:

        control.22 {
                comment.access 'read write'
                comment.type ENUMERATED
                comment.item.0 Mic
                comment.item.1 CD
                comment.item.2 Video
                comment.item.3 Aux
                comment.item.4 Line
                comment.item.5 Mix
                comment.item.6 'Mix Mono'
                comment.item.7 Phone
                iface MIXER
                name 'Capture Source'
                value.0 Line
                value.1 Line
        }

So this is the list of things it could capture from and mine
is currently set to "Line". If it doesn't output a control
section like this then there may be a driver problem.

> Also, I ran the xawtv test and that failed too.  I can
> hear the sound when "line" is unmuted. Then I muted
> and ran aplay /dev/dsp and I got the following:
>
> Playing raw data '/dev/dsp' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate
> 8000 Hz, Mono
> underrun!!! (at least 9.232 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 11.728 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 11.778 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 11.772 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 13.185 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 10.363 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 11.792 ms long)
> underrun!!! (at least 11.794 ms long)

Well, these are inert and actually a good thing in that it confirms
that there is a driver and device associated with /dev/dsp . You
won't hear anything until you've successfully set the capture source.

--  bjm