[mythtv-users] Conflicts while apt-getting MythTV-suite

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri May 28 12:45:45 EDT 2004

On Friday 28 May 2004 08:39, Paul Kidwell wrote:
> Hi again Everybody,
>
> I started another install last night using Jarod's guide.
>
> I got up to chapter 10 of Jarod's guide "apt-get install mythtv-suite"
> and ran into some problems with conflicts. Here's what the end of the
> apt-get results looked like...

> [root at localhost mythtv]# apt-get install mythtv-suite
>
> <big snip>
>
> Fetched 130MB in 6m10s (351kB/s)
> Committing changes...
> Preparing...                ###########################################
> [100%]
>         file /usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.calc.desktop
> from install of kdelibs-3.2.2-7.0.1.kde conflicts with file from package
> openoffice.org-1.1.0-16
>         file /usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.draw.desktop
> from install of kdelibs-3.2.2-7.0.1.kde conflicts with file from package
> openoffice.org-1.1.0-16
>         file /usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.impress.desktop
> from install of kdelibs-3.2.2-7.0.1.kde conflicts with file from package
> openoffice.org-1.1.0-16
>         file /usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.desktop
> from install of kdelibs-3.2.2-7.0.1.kde conflicts with file from package
> openoffice.org-1.1.0-16
>         file /usr/share/themes/Default from install of
> redhat-artwork-0.96-1.0.1.kde conflicts with file from package
> gtk2-2.2.4-5.1
>         file /usr/share/themes/Default from install of
> redhat-artwork-0.96-1.0.1.kde conflicts with file from package
> gtk+-1.2.10-28.1
> E: Error while running transaction
> [root at localhost mythtv]#
>
> First off, is this a problem?

Yes. And its one that I gave a work-around for in the guide...

> or can it be safely ignored?

No. Nothing got installed. If apt/rpm runs into conflicts like that, rather
than hosing your system, it installs nothing.

> Can they be
> cleared without reloading everything?

Yes.

> If it is a problem, the first 4 conflicts are easy. When I was selecting
> packages to install I checked Open Office. (force of habit) I can just
> wipe the drive and install again without checking it and those 4 will go
> away.

There's no reason to wipe your drive.

> The last two have me concerned. Are those conflicts a problem?

Yes.

> can they be safely ignored?

No.

> If not, does anybody know how I can clear them?

Re-read my doc. Take note of the section where it tells you to comment out the
kde-redhat entries in /etc/apt/sources.list. There's also a sequence of
apt-get installs that'll resolve those conflicts and get KDE 3.2 installed,
which has been covered on this list and the kde-redhat list several times
over.

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com