[mythtv-users] Luck with PVR-350 card and video out?

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Thu May 27 13:41:00 EDT 2004

On Thursday 27 May 2004 11:32 am, darren.richards at cox.net wrote:
> > From: Andy Long <aslong at uark.edu>
> > Date: 2004/05/27 Thu AM 09:08:07 EDT
> > To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> > Subject: [mythtv-users] Luck with PVR-350 card and video out?
> >
> > I'm a linux newbie about to build my first mythbox.  I've read mixed
> > reviews on the success of getting the PVR-350 to work for video out.  Can
> > anyone relate their experiences or reccomendations on this?  Does it work
> > well?  Is the video-out quality good when compared to, say, an Nvidia
> > Geforce 4?  I'm planning on using either Fedora Core 1 or Core 2 (no
> > great affinity to either right now, so if one would be better than the
> > other for this card, i'd be happy to use it).
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> The video-out quality from the pvr-350 was very good, but I had numerous
> stability problems.  I put my system together a few months ago, and after a
> month of crashes, reboots, partial recordings, s-l-o-w channel changes and
> a very low WAF, I bought a geforce4 mx440 with tv-out.  The tv-out quality
> is *almost* as good, and now my system is rock-solid.  I'm using the 350
> for capture only right now.

I had the same problems until I stopped using the framebuffer and put a
monitor under the tv...  Its tough, I'd like to get a small flatscreen with a
touchscreen to put on the coffee table :)

> That being said, I don't know how much the ivtv drivers have improved in
> the past 3 or 4 months, so maybe some of the problems I was seeing have
> been resolved...
>
> -darren

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

"No matter what, never, ever, ever, ever tell your girl friend she is looking
a little puffy."
-Ancient chinese proverb

"Some people go to bed with Lucifer, then they cry when they don't greet the
day with God"
-Monster Magnet

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
-His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Wisdom does not mean knowledge but experiential understanding. Wisdom helps
you to change radically your habits and perceptions, as you discover the
constantly changing, interconnected nature of the whole of existence.
-Martine Batchelor, "Meditation For Life"