[mythtv-users] MythTV - Complete How-TO build on Fedora Core 2 docs

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu May 27 00:50:05 EDT 2004

On May 26, 2004, at 9:11 AM, daryl faulds wrote:

> I appreciated Rod's MythTV set-up guide. The guide
> addressed many of the current problems in a clear and
> accurate way. The fact of the matter, there was a good
> bit of disinformation regarding some issues.

As it relates to Fedora Core 2, yes. Its a brand new release. It takes
some time for folks to catch up. Many of us have full-time jobs and
families, so we can't drop everything and update documentation the
second a new release comes out.

> The Nvidia drivers and FC2 was a clear example. There
> was nothing about it at the "official" site:
> http://fedora.redhat.com/ and other sites
> significantly under-represented the problem (a frankly
> black display) for example:
>
> http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia
>
> "Q: How do I enable 3D support for my nVidia graphics
> card in Fedora Core 2?
> A:The Fedora Core 2 kernel includes some
> performance-enhancing goodies that break the current
> nVidia graphics driver. Don't worry, this has happened
> before and nvidia will hopefully release an updated
> driver very soon. I will post an update here when that
> happens."

That answer is correct, for the most part. nVidia's driver won't work
with the Fedora Core 2 kernel. Emphasis on Fedora Core 2 kernel. Rod
walks you through compiling your own kernel, thus it is no longer a
Fedora Core 2 kernel. "Official" sites only support official kernels.
Note that Red Hat will throw out ANYTHING from bugzilla if the
reporting party isn't using a Red Hat package. Personally, I'd rather
wait for a driver that works with the stock FC2 kernel, as would many
people. Yes, that site could have mentioned the "compile your own
kernel with new features disabled", but...

> I provided one working method on this list and Rod
> quickly provided another in response. Rod's guide went
> much further and actually allowed someone to build a
> working MythTV with the current shipping version of
> Fedora.

I never said Rod shouldn't post his guide. My objection was to claiming
the official docs are broken, and providing his doc as the fix, rather
than submitting fixes to the official docs. I'm all for Rod continuing
his guide, if he so chooses. See above for reasons why his is the only
doc covering the "current shipping version of Fedora"... I'll cover
Fedora Core 2 myself, once users can use the stock kernel (or possibly
an ATrpms 2.6 kernel) with a 4kstacks-clean nVidia driver. I prefer
stability over being on the bleeding edge.

> You can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't
> see any other guide that actually does that now.

I think you're correct. I plan to follow suit, but I'm a busy guy of
late, and maintaining a guide doesn't pay the bills. =)

> For me, Rod's guide was a nice addition to this list.
> Thanks.

And again, I'm all for it. My only objection is to calling the official
docs flawed, saying "I've got a fixed doc", and not submitting patches
to fix them. As Rod said though, he missed the "contributing to this
doc" section of the official docs, and intends to contribute back to
the official docs, which I think is excellent.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/