[mythtv-users] *huge* difference in picture quality..

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed May 26 12:23:15 EDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 11:57:14AM -0400, Scott Pouliot wrote:

> Coax = Threaded Connector for most things here in the US.

OK. That's an "F" connector.

"Coax" is short of coaxial, which means that the two conductors
are not side-by-side (like in an AC mains plug and cord) but
rather one is a hollow "tube" and the other is inside that tube
separated by an insulator of some sort.

> Composite = RCA

RCA connectors are coaxial connectors.

> They do however make coaxial digital cable for audio that look
> like RCA's for higher end sound....which is confusing.

That's a rather odd set of definitions.

What's confusing is that people are using a term describing the
physical structure of cables and connectors (coax) to describe
the signal modulation properties.  Both F connectors and RCA
connectors are coaxial connectors.  Cables for both both are
usually coaxial as well.  Perhaps there are non-coaxial cables
with RCA connectors on them, but the ones I've cut open have
always been coax.

I gather what you're really talking about is RF-modulated
output vs. composite output?

--
Grant Edwards
grante at visi.com