[mythtv-users] Is the GUI slow for everyone or just for me?

t+mythtv t+mythtv at wondious.com
Tue May 25 19:46:10 EDT 2004

I'm wondering, how responsive is the mythtv gui for most people?

On my system most parts are what I would call "very slow".  To put that
more quantitatively, switching to the list of recorded programs when I
click on "Recorded Programs" takes at least 15 seconds.  Bringing up
MythWeather usually takes about 15 seconds too.  Moving around even
within the same screen (ie cursor'ing up and down) is a "press a key and
wait" activity, with the highlight change taking probably a quarter of a
second for each button.

I'm not complaining - I'm just wondering if that matches everyone else's
experience...?

Some system details: Dual 800MHz Xeon's with 256MB of RAM, running
KDE3.1 on X4.something, opengl accelerated.  The system is definitely
way too low on memory - and I personally think there's something
extremely broken in redhat memory management in redhat9 / redhat
enterprise 3 - it seems to page stuff out when there's absolutely no
reason to do so.  Mythfrontend and mythbackend are on the same system.
Only thing keeping me from just calling it a memory problem is the fact
that pulling up the list in mythweb is quick (<1 second).

How long does it take for you to get a list of recorded programs using
mythfrontend?  Does my experience match others?

--
Trever