[mythtv-users] Re: Upgrading question for the general populace

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue May 25 17:50:14 EDT 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 04:16:15PM -0500, Scott Francis wrote:
> My current kernel version is 2.4.22-1.2166.nptl_35.rhfc1.at
>
> Unfortunately this kernel is no longer supported by Axel, so my
> upgrade unfortunately isn't the super easy path.  Based on this I
> believe I have one of two options as far as the upgrade goes.

It is easier than you think:

OLD=2.4.22-1.2166.nptl_35.rhfc1.at
NEW=2.4.22-1.2188.nptl_48.rhfc1.at
rpm -qa --qf '%{name} ' \*kmdl\*${OLD}\* | sed -e"s,$OLD,$NEW,g" | xargs apt-get -y install

> What I'm trying to figure out is what method is going to be the safest and most stable.

The above only installs new kernels and kernel modules, it does not
kill your running setup. So it is safe to boot into the new kernel,
check if everything is OK, and if not boot again into the old kernel.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net