[mythtv-users] Gremlins squished (I hope), now some more questions...

Kevin D. Snodgrass kds.mythtv at cox.net
Tue May 25 17:20:28 EDT 2004

After several (unfortunate) interruptions, I think I have
finally got all those little Gremlins dispatched.  But a few
questions now arise.

Pertinent data:
3 PVR-250 cards
FC1 per Jarod Wilson's HOWTO
Not worried about TV-out yet, I probably will do the XBox
thing later.
Canada fishing trip postponed 3 weeks (GRRR!), the lake is
STILL FROZEN!  (Global warming my arse!)  So, I'm home for
the Stanley Cup Finals. :-)

1.)  For a while I had difficulty getting sound in the
capture file.  I tried all the things I could find in the
archives, then it started working and I don't remember what
I did. :-/  I think it was in modules.conf:

options msp3400 once=1 simple=1 standard=0x21

Is what I have now.  Somewhere I remember reading that
"standard=0x20" was used by someone, but that gave me an
error.  Is there a diffinitive document on the options for
msp3400?

2a)  Since I did this install some time ago, there are
several updated packages available.  Root gets an email
every day, I think there are about 60 updated packages.  I
tend towards the "If it ain't borked, don't bork it"
philosophy.  Is there any compelling reason to do these updates?

2b)  This one is for Axel Timm (Thanks for making this so
easy!), in the updated packages I see this one:

nvidia-graphics-libs  i386  1:1.0_5336-52.rhfc1.at  at-testing

But I have the 4363 NVidia driver installed.  Might this
cause problems?  The "nvidia-graphics4363" and
"nvidia-graphics4363-libs" packages are also listed.  This
just seems like a one-way ticket to borkedness.

3)  I could never get the ivtv drivers to recognize the
third PVR-250.  The card does work, since it worked fine as
the only card in the system.  Hmm, probaby should be asking
this one in the ivtv mailing list...

4)  I have several user accounts on my newly minted MythTV
system.  After a restart, if I log in as "folding", which
runs the Folding at Home client, first the /dev/video? device
nodes are owned by "folding".  Then user "mythtv" cannot
capture.  Is this supposed to happen?  Is there a way to
alter this?  The file ownership and permissions seem to be
changed "automagically".  I tried to set them from root but
on the next restart the same thing happened.

5)  I'm an old Unix hand (SYS V R3), started playing with
Linux back when you had to do everything manually
(./configure; make; make install, and sometimes much more).
  Discovered Red Hat around release 4.2, discovered RPM,
loved it.  But I still knew what was going on.  apt-get now
puts a large curtin between between me and my bits.  Being a
C and assembler programmer (i.e, I'm a bit-twiddler) from
way back (Unix, MS-DOS, MS-DOS device drivers, NetWare NLMS,
MS-DOS/NetWare client code), I am starting to feel like a
Winjunk user.  Am I being too anal?  Maybe I would feel
better if I could just do a 'make world'.  (Oops, that's a
BSD-ism! :-) )

At least I don't have to worry about being chased by a
tornado tonight. :-)