[mythtv-users] Sound problems

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Mon May 24 19:53:47 EDT 2004

Matthew Mead wrote:
> The problem I am seeing is I am setting it as capture with alsamixer.. but
> still no sound. I even tried to do it with the mic with no luck.

Right, that's part of it but there is also an independent slider
that controls the "Capture" level used for recording. This is
usually several items to the right of "Line".

                     CAPTUR      CAPTUR
+--+        +--+     L+MM+R      L+--+R
|  |        |  |      |  |        |  |
|  |        |  |      |  |        |  |
|##|        |##|      |  |        |##|
|##|        |##|      |  |        |##|
|##|        |##|      |  |        |##|
|##|        |##|      |  |        |##|
|##|        |##|      |  |        |##|
|##|        |##|      |  |        |##|
|##|        |##|      |  |        |##|
|##|        |##|      |  |        |##|
+--+        +--+      +--+        +--+
Master  ...  PCM  ...  Line  ... <Capture>

> Grrrrr.. stupid on-board sound cards.. I'm going to go get a sb here
> shortly.

Not a bad idea. I use a SoundBlaster Live! (snd-emu10k1) for
digital out to my receiver and SoundBlaster 16PCI (snd-ens1371)
for all my other machines. They just plain work.

> whats weird is if I mute it in xawtv and then fire up aplay /dev/dsp
>
> I get a spam of underrun!!! (at least XX.XXX ms long) and no sound.

Those are expected and can be ignored. It does confirm that
the driver is loaded and you are talking to a device file with
a device driver behind it. My guess is that you just need to
crank up the "Capture" slider.

--  bjm