[mythtv-users] fresnel lenses.. any experiences?

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Mon May 24 15:36:19 EDT 2004

LOL!! Yes I've viewd several of these in various forms, but not from this particular
vender.

Do you guys realize that this is how Sam Runco got started? In (I think it was 1967) he
placed an advert in Popular Mechanics magazine to sell kits for U.S. $19.95 very similar
to what this guy is peddling. Basically used a Sony 13" TV in a box with a fresnel lens.
He couldn't make up the kits fast enough!

I'll cut to the chase... it's a fun toy, but it's a toy. You can get a viewable picture in a
completely darkened room on a highly reflective screen up to about 45 inches diagonal
but it's still very dim (referenced to a 13" Sony of yore... YMMV.) Even at only 45 inches
you have dots the size of the buttons on your shirt, so if that's what fires your rocket...

There was a company here in my town in the seventies that sold a bunch of these. For
U.S. $150 you got a 50" silver parabolic screen and the box, but you had to provide your
own Sony 13" TV. You had to push the little Sony so hard to get any brightness at all
that the tube would last maybe 6 months before showing signs of serious  blooming and
phosphor burn. But In the 70's, it was a kick while it lasted, as long as you could sit in
that one seat in the house that was in the direct line of fire for the parabolic screen!

Read this guys eBay ad carefully. Those wonderful home theatre pictures he posted
cannot possibly be images created by the device he's selling, and to his credit he
admits this fact. And his claims of 150" displays are not realistic (In my opinion.) At least
not an image you'd actually want to be in front of. Think of it like this... that fresnel lens
can only focus the light that it can catch, and a little bitty (probably the size of a sheet of
writing paper, I haven't seen this particular lens) is not going to capture much of the light
from a 25" set. So, with a big TV its efficiency is going to be very low, because most of
the light from the TV is wasted, going every which way, but not directly toward the lens.
Now with a little 13" TV, there is less total lumens, but the lens is able to capture more
of it, so the efficiency is higher. Either way, 45-50 inches in a totally darkened room. Tit
for tat. On the other hand, put a 25" fresnel in front of a 25" TV and I'll believe the 150"
claims, still in a seriously darkened room.

Still, 7 quid for two lenses and the plans... if you want to play, it sounds like an OK deal.
Just don't expect to have a home theatre quality PJ when you're finished. Then again,
maybe the technology has advanced some in the last 30 years... Nah, still can't fool the
laws of physics...