[mythtv-users] PVR-350 vs PVR-250 + GeForce4MX

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Sat May 22 18:32:42 EDT 2004

HI!

Mikhail D'Vane wrote:

> 1.  It doesn't take much horsepower to decode the stream with software.
>     Inexpensive Celeron's handle the job just fine.  As long as you are
>     encoding in hardware, a 1GHz Celeron/P3 does the job well as a
>     combo front/backend (for default capture settings, at least).

I have a 2.6 GHz Celeron and although decoding MPEG2 captures (full
resolution, 7 MBit) uses only 30% CPU, it still is not always smooth
(this issue has been discussed here).

Also, when using the GeForce drivers recommended in Jarod's guide, you
get fuzzy motion.

So, IMHO, quality is much better with the 350 TV-out than with the
GeForce TV-out.

Jarod was using ivtv 0.1.9 for his tests with the 350 TV-out AFAIK. So,
for better stability, one should try the newer ck patches.

Thomas