[mythtv-users] Feature request. MythVideo folder browser.

Stephen Tait tait at digitallaw.co.uk
Fri May 21 11:07:50 EDT 2004

I have a similar request, but I rather have it done as something like
adding a "category field" or have everything laid out in directories a la
MythMusic with the "directory" option. I'd like to be able to flag certain
movie types as a freeform category (sorry, yes, PITA non-coder here).

Like many others I imagine, I also have a rather complicated folder
structure of movies - as a simple example, I have a directory for full
length films, a dir containing dirs of TV series and a dir containing music
videos (both of the latter are symlinked from the main movie folder).

The problem I have with this is that at the moment all of my feature films
are interspersed with serialised TV episodes so in order to go from "Ronin"
to "Solaris" I have to go through 30 episodes of "Sealab 2021" and Pi to
Pitch Black involes about 70 hops through Pinky and the Brain cartoons -
which of course I'd like to have in their own section or subsection. I
experimented with editing the MySQL tables so that certain videos sort out
in certain places (prefixing them with certain flags); it works, but
obviously it's a boring and inelegant approach and it still means I can't
restrict my "browse videos" list to less than 400.

If anyone else has any ideas on this, I'd be much obliged for the input -
again, not sure if this is the right list, if not let me know. As for now,
I'd like to postulate the following:

In MythVideo setup, you can flag certain directories as "anything under
this lives in section XYZ" so as to be able to cascade categories, and then
in MythVideo you'd have a category selector like MythMusic where you say "I
only want to browse my TV shows" or whatever. It might also give you the
possibility to categorise feature films, so you could say "I want to see an
action movie" and all that sort of stuff.

Sorry for the interjection, but I've found this a little cumbersome in the
past. As soon as I've learnt cpp, I'll get back to you all :^)

Thanks for any help/advice on the matter