[mythtv-users] PVR-350 vs PVR-250 + GeForce4MX

Joel Oliveira joel.oliveira at gmail.com
Thu May 20 11:11:30 EDT 2004

Hey Rod -

I have pretty much the same setup and for a while I was using one of
those switch-boxes that converge 4+ RCA and S-Vid outputs to one
single RCA input on my cheap-o Sanyo tv (it only has RCA as well).
While everything in Windows XP worked fine (tv-out) from my desktop
and laptop to my tv ... in linux (with Axel's 4363 rpm's) I could
never get things to show up without a lot of static and distortion.

I went the same route and bought a S-Vid to RCA coupler from Radio
Shack and, much to my dismay, it sort of worked but everything was
black and white, no matter what OS or resolution I used.  I returned
it, did some more research online and finally found something that
worked like a charm.  I took a leap of faith and bought an S-Vid+3.5mm
Audio connector to RCA cable from svideo.com
(www.svideo.com/prosvideo6.html)  ... plugged everything in, fired up
windows - worked like a charm,  then rebooted into linux - fired up X
and it looked absolutely perfect.

You might want to shop around but after the multiple tries and paths
that I took, the cable from them was the best solution for me.  Not to
mention the whole cable was cheaper than just that coupler at Radio
Shack.

Good luck

- J

On Wed, 19 May 2004 19:16:07 -0700, knight at pogmech.net
<knight at pogmech.net> wrote:

-- snip --

> S-Video:
>   The GeForce 4mx 440 has an S-Video out.  Most of my TV's are just standard RCA.  I went to Radio Shack and bought a converter(S-Vid to RCA) that plugs into the Svideo out of the Card, and the RCA video plugs into that.  I need to test it and make sure it works.  I think it was about $10 bucks.

-- snip --