[mythtv-users] Is the myth communication protocol routable?

Andy Kuan andy at kuan.net
Wed May 19 07:57:38 EDT 2004

You have to go in and change the MasterServerIP and BackendServerIP in
the settings table to your firewalls external IP address (as well as
forwarding the MySQL port).

I started a thread a while ago discussing the bandwidth requirements to
do this. I was able to watch live TV, but only passably: the stream was
around 200kbps and suffered from severe latency. Every few seconds, the
show would freeze for a half second and then start again. The conclusion
was that MythTV doesn't buffer the media stream.

Does anyone have a rough description of the protocol that MythTV uses?
Or is it a matter of digging through the source code? I imagine
/someone's/ already gone through the trouble of at least generating a
pile of notes on how the protocol works or which source files to look at.

Andy