[mythtv-users] quality question.. ways to make it better?

Craig Tinson craig at 8010.co.uk
Wed May 19 08:01:30 EDT 2004

hey guys.. have a general question regarding quality..

my current setup is a Athlon 1800XP / 120Gb / 512Mb / AverTV Studio for
the backend

an Athlon 1.4Ghz / 120gb / 512Mb / Radeon 9200 SE for the front end..
the composite out goes through to a composite-scart converter which is
plugged into the TV.

I'm in the UK and have NTL Cable.. so I have a coax arial cable from the
output of the cable box running to the arial cable on the TV card in the
backend..

I've set the recording profile for LiveTV to mpeg4 and set it to pretty
much maximum quality.. but its still quite "bitty" (not a lot.. but you
can see it).. and the colors just seem really dull.. it seems to lose
the vibrant quality from the original..

Is there anything fundamentally wrong with this setup? is there anything
I can do to make it better without shedding out tons of cash?

Also.. am using the latest CVS version..

[root at mythtv1 root]# rpm -qa | grep mythtv-backend
mythtv-backend-0.15-69cvs.rhfc1.at
[root at mythtv1 root]# rpm -qa | grep mythtv-frontend
mythtv-frontend-0.15-69cvs.rhfc1.at

I've tried pressing "G" and adjusting color/hue/brightness etc.. but
that doesn't seem to do very much..

Setup was from Jarods guide and am up to date I think with everything
else.. (apt-get dist-upgrade says I am anyways)

Thanks for any ideas..

Craig