[mythtv-users] Mailing list and a Wiki... and a dessert topping

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Wed May 19 03:57:09 EDT 2004

On Monday 17 May 2004 19:25, Bill Chmura wrote:
> I say let there be the existing mailing lists, the official docs and a
> wiki. Wikis are good to putting in new docs, etc...  The mailing list is
> good for discussions and having gossamer is good for searching.
>
> I don't like the idea of a forum on top of this... I think maybe splitting
> the mailing lists into a myth-users and myth-hardware would cut down on
> some of the traffic that maybe making a forum attractive to some.
>
> So if I had a vote, I would say +1 for a wiki (for user contributed
> documentation and walk throughs and such).  -1 for a forum or other
> discussion based technology.
>
> Aside from that, I think this chain has reached the point where no one is
> going to convince anyone that they are right or wrong, and since its not
> going away I am guessing that it will go on forever.  So, to all parties
> involved, I would say just do it.  If the community is behind you they will
> use it.
>
> The internet is a great place

a suggestion:

use the wiki as a staging area for docs which will go into the mythtv.org docs
(assuming that they are accepted)

ask for volunteers to take topics and trawl through all info sources and add
this info to the wiki. topics include (but are not limited to):

architecture
installation (compiling, installing, configuring)
tv-out
distributions (myth and os)
hardware (cases, cooling, machine, capture card, display card)
ui
remote control (lirc, remotes, key bindings)
themes
plugins (weather, news, dvd, video, music, browser)
audio (oss, alsa, sp/dif, routing)
codecs
dvd authoring
transcoding

sources include:

offical docs
mailin list(s) (dev, users, ivtv lists)
wiki(s)

what would be really cool is if each volunteer took a particular topic and a
particular source and trawled through it and added stuff to the wiki; get it
into a good enough shape and then submitted it to isaac for inclusion in the
docs.

an example would be going tthrough the mailing list and gathering all info
about tv-out and gathering it into one coherent whole. another example might
be suitable cases to use when building a machine which has to go beside a tv.

regards
--
simon