[mythtv-users] Mailing list and a Wiki... and a dessert topping

Peter Valdemar Morch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Tue May 18 08:11:57 EDT 2004

David myth-at-dgreaves.com |Lists| wrote:
>> You might even start by importing the current documentation to your wiki.
>
> It's a good idea - I though about it quite a bit - we'd need to keep in
> sync and it's too hard for now.

Now there is a way-cool idea. LinuxDoc/SGML can generate output in a
variety of formats, and surely WikiMarkup could be one of these formats.
As a starting point for the docs. Seperated into different pages, just
like the HTML docs. When a CVS update occurs, this is done by patching
as in:

diff -ur previousOfficialWikiMarkup/ currentWiki/ > userContribs.diffs
mv currentWiki/ currentWiki.old
mv officialWikiMarkup currentWiki
cd currentWiki
patch -p1 ../userContribs.diff

At any point,

diff -ur officialWikiMarkup currentWiki

is the user contribution to the documentation...

I like the idea. A lot. Some work, naturally, especially when there are
merge conflicts (append the user contributed part of such conflicts to
PageName/Conflicts?) But it would be *very* slick! And actually useful
for many other projets as a keep-documentation-up-to-date thing. I love
this idea!!

Does anybody know how tricky it is to do the LinuxDoc->WikiMarkup
translation. Something about XSLT, right? I'll try to look into that. As
far as I can see, this is the only really tricky part of the whole thing.

Peter

--
Peter Valdemar Mørch
http://www.XXXXXXXXX