[mythtv-users] Daemon start-up Mythbackend in Debian

Kevin Nebhut knebhut at austin.rr.com
Mon May 17 20:46:29 EDT 2004

I have been unable to start mythbackend at start-up using either the
script here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/14391?search_string=debian%20daemon;#14391

the script here: http://www.courville.org/phpwiki/Mythtv

and of course the supplied contrib start-up, which i tried even though
it was fairly obvious it wouldn't work with debian.

I get no feedback at all during start-up, I have it starting right after
mysql and right before kdm, and get nothing showing on screen.

If I do /etc/init.d/mythbackend start at a promt, it works, but it
doesn't seem to get processed at all during start-up.  I've used
update-rc.d and the supplied sysVinit editor trying to get it to start
in run levels 3 4 and 5, but my startup seems to complete ignore the
file.  Any suggestions?

Running debian unstable with a day old CVS.

BTW, off the subject, but MythTV has caused me to learn quite alot about
Linux in the last few weeks.  Ive went through 4 different distros
(mandrake, suse,  fedora core, debian)  compiled mythtv countless times
and I have loved every minute of it.