[mythtv-users] Fedora FC2

knight at pogmech.net knight at pogmech.net
Mon May 17 18:53:57 EDT 2004

I'm currently working on a fresh install of Fedora Core2 Test 3, and  using kernel 2.6.6 from kernel.org. My system is a dual boot box (Win XP / Fedora C2t3).

My HW:
  FIC Condor box (looks like a toaster)
  P4 HT 2.8ghz w/1m cache CPU
  512m RAM
  160g HD
  Linksys Wireless PCI card
  Hauppauge PVR-250
  GeForce 4 MX 440 (128m) w/ tv-out (AGP)
  Built-in 10/100 nic, soundcard.

Stuff I have working so far:
 Nvidia drivers (v4363  I have a geforce 4mx 440 w/ tv-out : the kernel 4kstack issue was a pain to deal with)
   note: glxgears using generic nv drivers: ~220fps
         glxgears with nvidia drivers: ~1800 fps >:-)
 IvTV v1.10-pre..ck67a
 LIRC (latest CVS from 05/16/04)
 MPlayer (compiled from source)
 MySQL (v.4.0.19.tar.gz file, Qt-mysql rpm, dev-header rpm, and client-support rpm)

 Did the Zap2it signup

 Just need to install MythTV (using CVS) and hope it all works together.

Issues:
  Not sure if it's with MPlayer or IvTV.  But when I view live TV (mplayer /dev/video0), the picture gets grainy or fuzzy when there is a lot of movement. I see horizontal lines or digital blurs where the motion is- such as a guy waving his hand.  Watching a music video (live tv) gives me a headache with all the "blurs" showing up around the band playing or ppl dancing.
  It also jitters a bit or slows down when there's a LOT of action going on- ie a nice big firey explosion that takes up the whole screen.  Mplayer complains that my system is too slow to play this file:  I'm using a P4 (hyper Thread) 2.8ghz w/ 1meg cache CPU, 512megs ram.
  I've tried a few test_iotcl settings with high bitrates, low bitrates, etc.  Tried mplayer -vo xv -ni -cache 8192 ...  but I still get the horizontal fuzzies when there's any kind of movement on the screen.  Doesn't happen much with cartoon type shows, just real tv.

 Mplayer:  I can't get it to compile with --with-gui. I have the kde-devel stuff installed, but I think it's too new a version and mplayer doesn't like it. I'm wary of installing an OLDER version of kde-devel stuff, which might break everything i've done so far. So I stuck that issue on the TODO list.

I will install MythTV (CVS) tonight.  Hope it works.

-Rod

p.s. I kept complete and detailed docs of all the steps done so far.  I need to clean it up a bit, and i'll post it up soon.