[mythtv-users] HD noise and PVR250

Will Dormann wd at pobox.com
Mon May 17 11:06:58 EDT 2004

>However I was thinking--for other reasons as well--of switching my
>current hauppage wintv go with a pvr250. Does anyone think this will
>help with disk writes?

Um, the MythTV machine is going to be doing a lot of disk writes regardless
of the tuner that you use.  Where do you think the video goes?

You don't say what kind of noise the drive makes.   If it's a constant
noise, regardless of disk activity, then it's probably bearing whine.   Get
a new drive.
If it's only during activity, you might be able to enable AAM for the drive
using hdparm -M to reduce seek noise.

-WD